The goal of the DCM program is to prepare a multi-skilled clinical officer who will competently meet the healthcare needs of the community in all settings by providing
preventive, promotive, curative, as well as rehabilitative services to members of society. The three core competencies of this cadre include Health Services Management, Clinical practice and Community Health.
After completing the DCM program, the student is expected to carry out the following:
1.Supervision and management of staff, equipment, drugs, supplies and other assets.
2. Management of maternal and child health and reproductive health services.
3. Diagnose common disease conditions and administer appropriate treatment.
4. Carry out nursing and simple medical laboratory procedures.
5. Participate actively in the planning implementation and evaluation process of
6. Primary Health Care, community -based health care and other national programs. Provide health education to patients, special groups and the community.
1. Student - centred learning so as to promote full use of individual abilities.
2. Problem - based learning using small group tutorials to develop critical thinking skills.
3. Lectures to provide guidance in scope and depth to broaden students understanding.
4. Clinical demonstrations to emphasize holistic approach to patient/client care.
5. Community placements for community assessment and appropriate interventions.
6. E-Learning opportunities through online and internet-based technologies.
The detailed curriculum of courses required to achieve the accredited Diploma Clinical Medicine qualification are set out in the table below:
Year 1 Semester 1
Medical Psychology I
Principles of Nursing I
English and Scientific writing
Year 1 Semester 2
Medical Psychology II
Principles of Nursing II
Community Health I
Year 2 Semester 1
Community Health II
Pharmacology and Therapeutics I
Year 2 Semester 2
Pharmacology and Therapeutics II
Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Year 3 Semester 1
Community Health III
Pediatrics and Child Health I
Year 3 Semester 2
Paediatrics and Child Health II
Chase your dreams in heels of your course. Know where this course is taking you by checking out the careers associated to it listed below
Hear and learn from those that did the course and what they have been able to do with the knowledge they acquired
Graduates work as clinicians in hospitals
Did this page help you? Yes No Share Feedback